“A Comprehensive Enrichment Center for Children”
Summer Hill is a unique enrichment center that introduces children, ages 2 1⁄2 to 6 years to the physical, social, and intellectual challenges of early childhood. We will provide your child with the tools, staff, setting, and experiences that will best prepare him/her for the problem solving and challenges encountered during early childhood. It is our goal to instill an overall sense of confidence in each child through the advocation of creativity and the spirit of individuality.
THE SOCIAL WORLD OF THE CHILD
Another important facet of the Summer Hill program is the development of social skills. Activities have been designed that will foster such fundamental social skills as sharing, helping, and listening. In addition, we will focus on the special relationship between the child and his/her environment, with energy directed toward generating a sense of respect for the earth and all its creatures. At Summer Hill, each child will become an integral and active member of the classroom while at the same time increase his/her own feeling of self worth.
THE PHYSICAL WORLD OF THE CHILD
Sound body, sound mind – at Summer Hill the two are inseparable, and it is around this philosophy that we have developed our movement program. Through this program, we will maximize control, coordination, perceptual motor skills, gross motor skills, fine motor skills, body awareness, spatial relationships, endurance, and most importantly, an overall sense of physical competency. To complete the picture both music and dance have been incorporated into this multifaceted program.
THE INTELLECTUAL WORLD OF THE CHILD
All of our programs have been designed to stimulate cognitive development through active sensory exploration and manipulation of the classroom and outdoor environment. At Summer Hill, we have carefully chosen both the staff and the tools that will encourage fundamental problem solving rather than role memorization. Each child will be encouraged to work at his/her own pace with little emphasis on time restraints.
SUMMER HILL PROGRAM DESCRIPTION
Our goal is to set a foundation for learning that will assist the children throughout their academic lives. Our students are encouraged to become as autonomous as possible.
This is accomplished by providing an exceptional teaching staff and creating a very unique environment. In each of our three separate learning areas (free choice, art, and movement/music) we emphasize; decision making, (choosing activities), and competency (being able to engage in an activity from beginning to end.)
All Programs Extended Hours: 7:45 AM – 5:30 PM
AGE RANGE:2 1/2-3 years old. This class is designed to be the younger child’s first school experience. All children must be fully potty trained.
The program emphasizes the following areas:
- Participation in group activities
- Gaining independence in daily activities
- Language development
- Gross motor development
- Fine motor development
- Creative expression
AGE RANGE: 3 1⁄2 to 4 1/2 years This program will expand upon the areas introduced in the 2 day program with refinements and additions such as:
- Exploring letters and letter sounds
- Counting and identifying numerals and using basic math concepts
- Exploration of the written word through the use of writing
- and drawing implements.
- Development of respect for the natural environment.
- Development of view of self as a member of our community.
- Sharing and taking turns.
- Increasing strength and endurance and improving muscular
coordination and control.
AGE RANGE: 4 1⁄2 to 6 years The program will have a flexible and individualized curriculum so that if the child is age and developmentally ready he/she may enter the first grade or kindergarten. This program will:
- Using literature and phonics in reading instruction.
- Include expanded social and natural science curriculum.
- Teach creative expression of spoken and written language.
- Have children learn time planning, co-operation, leadership skills, and organization through utilization of project approach.
- Expand math skills to include simple addition and subtraction and place value.
- Teach reading of simple sight words.